Damaged US Submarine Returns to San Diego Harbor

Special to BenarNews
2021.12.13
Share on WhatsApp
Share on WhatsApp
Damaged US Submarine Returns to San Diego Harbor The USS Connecticut arrives for a port visit at Yokosuka, Japan, July 31, 2021.
U.S. Navy

The nuclear fast-attack submarine USS Connecticut which suffered damage while operating in the South China Sea in early October appears to have suffered a damage to its bow.

Ship spotters have been sharing photos of the sub pulling into the San Diego harbor in California on Sunday morning.

The U.S. Naval Institute (USNI) news portal previously said that the USS Connecticut’s ballast tanks and the forward section were damaged.

It’s difficult to tell from the pictures but military watchers said it appears that there is a temporary cover over the bow where the submarine’s sophisticated sonar is located. That means the ship has transited from the U.S. Pacific territory of Guam, where it underwent preliminary assessment and repairs, entirely on the surface as it would be dangerous for it to travel underwater.

USNI News said several anonymous Navy officials confirmed the surface transit of 6,182 miles (9,950 km).

On Oct. 2, the Seawolf-class submarine hit an uncharted seamount during a dive in the South China Sea.

The U.S. Pacific Fleet waited for five days after the incident before issuing a statement, leading to China’s criticism that the U.S. was trying to cover it up. The Pentagon denied that.

The statement said the USS Connecticut was in “international waters in the Indo-Pacific region” when the accident occurred and there were no life-threatening injuries to the sailors.

Beijing, however, demanded to know the exact location, while some Chinese sources said the USS Connecticut was spotted in waters off the Paracel islands on Oct. 3, one day after the reported accident.

Analysts said China played up the incident in retaliation to the announcement of the AUKUS – an Australia-U.K.-U.S. trilateral security pact – that is widely viewed as a pushback against growing Chinese military power in the region.

Commanders dismissed

A month-long probe into the collision led to the dismissal of three top commanders of the USS Connecticut “due to loss of confidence.” The Navy also ordered submarine forces to hold a “navigational stand down,” or a review of navigational safety procedures.

It is unclear whether the sub will remain in San Diego or transit to its home base in Bremerton, Washington, for repair.

The USS Connecticut is one of three Sea Wolf-class submarines, commissioned in the Cold War era. It is 107 meters long and can carry about 130 sailors and officers. It is believed to cost more than $3 billion to build.

The U.S. Navy has about 70 submarines, all nuclear-powered.

POST A COMMENT

Add your comment by filling out the form below in plain text. Comments are approved by a moderator and can be edited in accordance with RFAs Terms of Use. Comments will not appear in real time. RFA is not responsible for the content of the postings. Please, be respectful of others' point of view and stick to the facts.

View Full Site